Sunday, May 20, 2012

Roasted Okra Curry with Jasmine Beef Stir Fry



Roasted Okra Curry with with Jasmine Beef Stir Fry
Delicious with a dollop of Greek yogurt. <3

Today I wanted something that could use the okra that I purchased form the 99 Ranch Market yesterday after my gym workout.  Okra, called “lady’s fingers” is rich in nutrients that have long been thought to promote youth and beauty.  I am not sure about how beautiful these creepy goblin-finger veggies will make us, but if you can get past the gooey texture, they are quite tasty.  The seeds for the variety that grew in my neck of Kansai seemed to be smaller than the American variety that I used in this recipe, but the flavors were just the same.

Ingredients
2 cups fresh Okra, whole or log-sliced
2 whole tomatoes 
Indian or Thai Curry paste (yellow or red)
1/2 tsp Ground Pepper
1/2 lb Ground Beef
1 tbs ground cumin
1 Onion, sliced
1 clove Minced Garlic
1 pinch Kosher Salt
1 tbs Greek Yogurt per serving (opt)

1
First I halved the onion. I set aside one half, and diced the other.   Then I heated the pan and fried 1 tbs of the curry paste with 1/2 tbs of butter.  I made a sort of Roux with the paste and butter, then combined the onions and some olive oil.  I would recommend adding a little water at this point, to create more of a sauce at this stage and to dilute the curry paste a bit.  Let it simmer until some of the water is diluted.

2
After the onions were cooked and mixed well with the curry paste, I divided the contents into two aluminum foil packets along with 1 tomato in each.  I then took kosher salt and rubbed the tomato and okra with the oil/butter/curry paste mixture.  

Next, I wrapped up each foil packet and roasted them on a cast iron skillet over high heat, 8 minutes on each side.  I flipped them with tongs so as to not 

3

While the veggies were roasting, I sliced the other half of the onion with the minced garlic and repeated the process, frying some curry paste with butter, adding water to the mixture, then adding the ground beef and cooking it all together, adding small amounts of kosher salt to taste.  Remember, Kosher salt is pretty strong, so add slowly or you will end up with a dish too salty to eat without wincing. ;D

When the beef was finished cooking, I  pushed it all to the side and added leftover Jasmine rice, roasting it in the oils already left in the pan.  Once the rice was nicerly roasted, I mixed it with the beef and onion mixture.  Once this is finished, you should be ready to eat!  Add a dab of plain greek yogurt on the side and you have a tasty Indian-inspired curried okra dish.


Yum-yum. <3
Ps-  Sorry about the ads.  I haven't learned how to remove or minimize their scary power. D:  This will soon be remedied >. <"


No comments:

Post a Comment